Life in Old South Central Alabama

My photo
South of Birmingham, Alabama, United States
I am an antique trader in central Alabama....I love old houses... My log home was built in 1817 by my ancestors Benjamin and Hannah Harless Wilson .............. Outside the house are herb gardens and lots of pass-along plants................ No one in Alabama is in a hurry about anything......... Visitors think that the garden needs weeding and the furniture needs polishing....I am a direct descendant of Joseph Towne, whose two sisters Rebecca Towne Nurse and Mary Towne Easty were hanged in Salem, Massachusetts, in 1692 as witches. I am also a direct descendant of Pocahontas and husband John Rolfe.

Monday, September 19, 2011

A Grand Chair from Selma, Alabama

I found this large chair tucked away on the second floor of a tired-looking old building that serves as an antique shop in Selma, Alabama. 


It  reminds me of a lolling chair, the type Mr. Scrooge sits in as he eats his gruel in front of the little fireplace in his bedroom.  Since I don't have a fireplace in my bedroom, I decided to try it out in the main room of the log cabin. 


I struggled to get the two pink Chippendale chairs upstairs ( sixteen steps)  to a more suitable setting.  Then I removed the televison by rerouting  the cable wires to the back of the house where I have my computer, craft tables, and books, all mixed in with a hodge-podge of old  furniture.


My back room is basically a  sad combination of styles but solving that will have to wait for a better day or a bigger house.


Yet the good news is that now the log room  has taken a giant leap forward to being all primitive. 






My father gathered  a five gallon bucket of walnuts for me last year so I am going to get a fire going and boil them in one of the iron pots outside and dye the curtains I made from dollar store sheets, since I now think that they are too light.  I hope the walnut stain will give them a nice shade of brown.




( Click on the pictures for a much better look! )



The gate leg table under the portrait of Uncle Jonathan is from the 1780's and I raised one side to combat my tendency to line furniture up around the wall.  ( My instinct to line up furniture comes from 34 years of teaching school and lining up the children's desks in rows.)




 I have yet to locate a hunt board, but have that abiding faith that one is waiting for me somewhere.


( Click on the pictures for a much better look! )








 Someone said that when you no longer have wants, needs, or desires, you are out of the game.  


Even better, I read that when your memories of the past outweigh your hopes for the future, you are really out of the game. 


It's a struggle for me sometimes, but as the verse says,  I'm not looking back, but I'm pressing on, toward the prize of the high calling of our God.

4 comments:

  1. I love your chair, I have several in my house, simuliar , they are very comfortable. I love the dolls, I am so partial to them. Thanks, Richard from My Old Historic house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a find, nice chair! I like the way your rooms are set up, nice and prim looking. And I love the dolls you have.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Selma Alabama , how southern (love the south) Did you see the movie THE HELP? speaking of the south

    and to dye your curtains with walnut stain? gosh i really want to see the results wish I lived closer so I could be there when you do that

    I think your chair was a great find for your primitive log home looks great

    I like that mustard color of your door showing in one of your pictures, really I like everything in your home

    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such beautiful taste. I, too, wish I lived closer. We could be friends!

    Andie

    ReplyDelete