Skip to main content

Building a Primitive Couch

I decided to build a primitive couch.   To keep things as simple as possible, I knew I would need some sort of old base, some wide boards for the back and sides,  some padding, and some cloth for covering.  
I had an old five foot long store table whose legs were uneven due to rot. I sawed off each leg about 2 inches to get them level.  I trimmed the top and back boards. I thought about taking the top off and drilling holes for a rope couch but decided that would be too much work and too much sag. 

At the local hardware store I found some 1x12 pine shelf boards. All I had to do was saw and put them together. I took a bit from the front of each side so the couch wouldn't look too much like a pew. 


I nailed a second layer of boards on the inside ends for extra bracing. 


Here is a view from the back.  I let it sit a couple of weeks to see if I liked the shape and size.  It was fine. 



I had no intention of ruining my primitive couch with expensive upholstery.  I thought about mattress ticking, but that would be too obvious.  One of my prim friends wanted me to get something blue, but I am trying to stick with mustards and browns. 


Well, this is what I found.   A brown and mustard print for five dollars a yard.   I can always change it.  

I made a slip cover and put an old quilt inside. 


I didn't want to use tacks so I used some heavy cord and sewed up the fabric with a half briar stitch. 

So there you have it. 


Back view. 


I'm happy with it and it suits the primitive look. 

Comments

  1. wow! You did it1 It certainly looks like a good make do. People would pay good money for it. Glad to see you posting. You have been MIA a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!! Looks great! OLM

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment