Life in Old South Central Alabama

My photo
South of Birmingham, Alabama, United States
I am an antique trader in central Alabama....I love old houses... My log home was built in 1817 by my ancestors Benjamin and Hannah Harless Wilson .............. Outside the house are herb gardens and lots of pass-along plants................ No one in Alabama is in a hurry about anything......... Visitors think that the garden needs weeding and the furniture needs polishing....I am a direct descendant of Joseph Towne, whose two sisters Rebecca Towne Nurse and Mary Towne Easty were hanged in Salem, Massachusetts, in 1692 as witches. I am also a direct descendant of Pocahontas and husband John Rolfe.

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Building a Primitive Couch

I decided to build a primitive couch.   To keep things as simple as possible, I knew I would need some sort of old base, some wide boards for the back and sides,  some padding, and some cloth for covering.  
I had an old five foot long store table whose legs were uneven due to rot. I sawed off each leg about 2 inches to get them level.  I trimmed the top and back boards. I thought about taking the top off and drilling holes for a rope couch but decided that would be too much work and too much sag. 

At the local hardware store I found some 1x12 pine shelf boards. All I had to do was saw and put them together. I took a bit from the front of each side so the couch wouldn't look too much like a pew. 


I nailed a second layer of boards on the inside ends for extra bracing. 


Here is a view from the back.  I let it sit a couple of weeks to see if I liked the shape and size.  It was fine. 



I had no intention of ruining my primitive couch with expensive upholstery.  I thought about mattress ticking, but that would be too obvious.  One of my prim friends wanted me to get something blue, but I am trying to stick with mustards and browns. 


Well, this is what I found.   A brown and mustard print for five dollars a yard.   I can always change it.  

I made a slip cover and put an old quilt inside. 


I didn't want to use tacks so I used some heavy cord and sewed up the fabric with a half briar stitch. 

So there you have it. 


Back view. 


I'm happy with it and it suits the primitive look. 

3 comments:

  1. wow! You did it1 It certainly looks like a good make do. People would pay good money for it. Glad to see you posting. You have been MIA a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!! Looks great! OLM

    ReplyDelete