Skip to main content

My weakness for a Pie Safe

My Saturday wanderings took me to Chilton County again where I found this wonderful un-restored pie safe. Luckily the people cleaning out their grandfather's old house and barns didn't burn it as junk or haul it to the dump ( That was the plan). It measures 55 x 38 x 16. 

I removed the drawer and found the tag:  Cullman Furniture Company, Cullman, Alabama. I would guess 1920's.

In the "old days" ( the 1970's !!! ) we would have stripped, sanded, and polyurethaned. 
Today, we are supposed to use a little cleaner and leave it as is. 

Since the porch is full, I drug it into the back room.  I have two rows of furniture along the wall now. Is there a program called Antique Road Show Hoarders? I could be a segment on that.  Do I look concerned?  No! Will my estate sale be a primitive-lover's feeding frenzy one day?  Yes!

My blue beauty is still on the porch.  It is marked Selma, Alabama on the back. With its long legs ( seen in an earlier post) it is 66" high x 34" wide x 20" deep.

This one is hidden upstairs in the bathroom.  It was created from old pine boards by a local cabinet maker.  I bought it from my friend Jim before he moved to Florida. The tin features sunflowers. 

This one is also hidden upstairs at the foot of the bed.  Walnut or Mahogany. It has been "stripped" except for the doors which I propped up there for the picture.  Let's pretend it's 1975 because that green color has got to go. 

Comments

  1. love that pie safe. Especially the last one

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one thing of all things I have sold out of my house that I regret selling, my old 1898 dated pie safe with star punched tins on the doors and sides.
    I would by another one for my kitchen now if I could find one. Seems like no one in my area collect primitives pie safes any more
    Mine was painted orange when I found it for $50.this was in 1972 and I traded a diamond ring for it ( how foolish ) i was very young

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment