Skip to main content

Two Gentlemen's portraits

I bought this one last week from an auction in Florida.  He appears to have been a person of means and refinement.  I know this is before 1860 but don't know how much before. I've got to study men's ties from 1780 to 1880 as a guide for dating paintings. 

I bought this one Sunday from an auction in Connecticut.  The outfit and the bible leave no doubt that he was a minister. I am dating this one about 1850.  No frame, but the size is not uncommon so I should be able to find something suitable. 

Comments

  1. I would welcome either of those antique gentlemen in my house to join my lovely lady painting.
    There has been no antique auctions around here that I know of , I live in a college town and they even tear down historical houses to build parking lots for this college

    ReplyDelete
  2. You find the best things. Merry Christmas and stay safe during the storms

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment