Skip to main content

Three Portraits, oil on canvas.

Three new portraits have arrived from sales in Connecticut and Pennsylvania.  The sizes are the standard 25" x 30" .

The condition is considered primitive, but I like her just the way she is. 

The auctioneer said they were two of the ugliest women he had ever seen. 

When  I called him to pay for them and arrange shipping, I told him that he shouldn't talk about my ladies like that. 

I can see that she was someone's beloved grandmother. 

This little boy with a red tie and green book is from a sale in Philly. 

The white spots on his fantastic frame are where the gesso fell off while he was being shipped to me. The ride down from Pennsylvania must have been rough.  You can see that only the upper right gesso didn't fall off. 

Here are the pieces of gesso found in the bubble wrap. I will piece them back together and fill in the spaces left with Apoxie Sculpt.  The only thing that I can't do is duplicate the patina on the gold paint. 

This portrait is large and heavy.  

The shippers in Philly were so overwhelmed by Christmas that I just got him yesterday.  I bought him back in November.  
I will post his portrait again after I fix the frame.  


Comments

  1. Will you be keeping or selling the boy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I will be keeping him for a while then I might let him go. I do that with a lot of things I buy for some unknown reason.

      Delete
  2. I was also going to ask if you sale any of the portraits you get at auctions?
    I don't have a primitive or victorian house however I have always admired these old oil portraits
    The ladies painted were not elegant ladies of the day just plain hard working ladies taking care of their families and suffering much from the times of hard work.
    The little boy is precious i'm like the previous Mrs G I would love to have him

    Maybe we should put in an order for you to get us a painting at auction?

    I'm trying to get warn my house is cold due to our negative 12 weather this morning. It was 5 degrees when I left church at 9:30 am

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well those are fun portraits! That's funny what you told the auctioneer.
    That is good to know what you use to repair the gesso, I have always used wall spackling in a cake decorating icing bag and round tips.
    Be sure and show us what it looks like when you are done. :)
    Any luck finding matching oval frames for me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. While your ladies are, indeed, handsome women and make fine subjects, I, too, am smitten by the boy. What a shame the gesso took such a beating, but glad to know you are capable of repairing it. Looking forward to seeing the "fix". Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment