Skip to main content

Patterson and Lavender Desk

 I was fortunate to bid on and win this wonderful desk that was auctioned in north Georgia. The shipping company I use always gives me a good rate because I am never in a hurry. The flash makes the desk look like an ugly muddy brown, but it is not.
 The top slants but does not lift, which allows for two small drawers as well as a large drawer below.  
 The dove tails show the quality of construction.  I found the stencil of the maker inside the top right drawer.
 The stencil identifies the desk as the work of Patterson and Lavender, cabinetmakers whose business was located at 43 and 45 Cornhill Street in Boston.  Their firm made all sorts of furniture for stores and offices in the 1860's, 70's, and 80's. 
The seller has several other high quality pieces.  I am glad this desk has found a new home here in Alabama. 
Here is a picture I found on line showing the firm's stationary which gives their address and highlights store and office furnishings.  

Comments

  1. That is fantastic and I admire that dovetailing. I bought a grocery desk, very early, but due to the smell it is in the trailer. We have tried to get the smell out and it is too cold now to check on it. I really like the legs on this too. SO pretty. MIne is a lift top, no drawers but lots of cubbies.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment