Life in Old South Central Alabama

My photo
South of Birmingham, Alabama, United States
I am an antique trader in central Alabama....I love old houses... My log home was built in 1817 by my ancestors Benjamin and Hannah Harless Wilson .............. Outside the house are herb gardens and lots of pass-along plants................ No one in Alabama is in a hurry about anything......... Visitors think that the garden needs weeding and the furniture needs polishing....I am a direct descendant of Joseph Towne, whose two sisters Rebecca Towne Nurse and Mary Towne Easty were hanged in Salem, Massachusetts, in 1692 as witches. I am also a direct descendant of Pocahontas and husband John Rolfe.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Portrait oil on canvas of young man

He is a large oval  43 x 35 frame  from an auction house in Pennsylvania, ca. 1850. He holds a book which some say signifies that he can read. Other just call it a prop. Usually a person well off enough to pay for an oil portrait was well off enough to have some education. 

The canvas is 35 x 27.    I think the gesso decoration on this frame is going to be some of the best examples I have of that lost art.

He should arrive within two weeks.  I need more wall space.


No comments:

Post a Comment