Skip to main content

Purple Transferware cups and saucers

I"m feeling better lately so I'm back at the blog.  Here is some purple transferware I bought from an auction in Bainbridge.  

I am always fascinated by the movements of the people.  They always seem to be so busy.  Where have they been?  

I read that the saucers were deep so as to hold the coffee -  that it was impolite to drink from the cup.  I've heard other victorian stories that were just made up ( such as the petticoat table myth)  so I never know if these tales are true or not. I remember the old folks here pouring their coffee into their saucers and blowing on it to cool it, so there is some truth to the drinking from the saucer part.  I saw that myself.

Where is she going?  Who are these people telling her goodbye? 


Comments

  1. I have a Regency era portrait showing a woman drinking tea or coffee from her saucer, so I think it's true that they did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! I know my grandparents used their saucers. I wondered if it was just an Alabama thing. It is neat to know they were doing something that was passed down 200 years. Marshel

      Delete
  2. Hi Marshel, I didn't know you weren't feeling well, just knew you had not been blogging. So nice to hear from you. Pretty transferware, I like the purple and the scenes. Your oil paintings you purchased are nice too. Have you sold your cabin yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are getting the entire farm surveyed to sell. If I can sell the back field by the creek, I plan on keeping the part with my house on it and selling the rest. Or, it might just all go at once. Either way, things will work out fine.

      Delete
  3. I love the purple transferware and anytime I have seen it seems to be very pricey in price. It must be older than the blue? or maybe just less still around in the purple.
    I think where they were going,is they were on the move like nomads. Or going to the fields to work?The young lady was leaving home for a better life in the city LOL?
    Glad you feeling much better and back to blogging. I missed your posting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the right auction. They sold for $18 for all six pieces. No one else was much interested. I need to make a photo of each piece I have ( over 100) and make up a story about the people on them. That would create a nice book.

      Delete

Post a Comment