Skip to main content

Jacquard Coverlets MORE PHOTOS !


I have a few old coverlets which I have gathered from estate sales and auctions. These are called Jacquard Coverlets as Joseph Marie Jacquard, a Frenchman, invented a loom attachment which allowed these intricate designs.  This one is blue and white. It is in good shape. When held to the light, I can see there are places up the middle that are worn. 
It measures 72 x 93 with a center seam where the two sides were combined. I will be posting more as I photograph and measure them. 

I have two that are purple, black, and ecru. 

One measures 68 x 82 with a central seam that doesn't match up the sides as well.  The other measures 66 x 84 and also has a central seam that doesn't match well. 

Both have very strong color.  












This one is blue, mustard, rust, rose , and ecru.  It is worn all over and frayed on the edges,  but the center seam is matched.  It has been signed in two corners. 

It measures 74 x 81. The central top is missing fabric and there are holes here and there. It is still one of my favorites because of the signatures.  

Joseph Smith - Millerstown - Leb. Co - Penn'a -  1836

The other corner.  The 1836 is not cut off. 
This one is ecru and black. It measures 86 x 73. 

The coverlet is worn in several places. The central seam is matched very well. 

There are spots here and there. I have not cleaned or soaked any of my coverlets. 
This one is black, purple, and ecru.  It measures 95 x 84. 

There are two seams joining the three sections of woven cloth. 

My new friend in Arkansas asked about the seams matching.  I never noticed it until she pointed it out. 

More coverlets in the house. 









Comments

  1. Wow, what a beautiful collection of antique coverlets! I see them every now and then, but have not purchased one. Thanks for sharing your lovely collection with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are lovely! You have quite a few wonderful treasures as I peruse your blog. Visiting from Curtains in My Tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love and collect old coverlets. I was inspired by your blog to research where one of my coverlets originated. It said Joseph Schnee, Freeburg, Penn on the coverlets. By checking the internet I was able to date it. Why didn't I think of this before. My friend Janice from Curtains in My Tree told me to check your blog about coverlets. I know you enjoy your coverlet collection as much as I enjoy mine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment