Skip to main content

Primitives at auction this week in Alabama

While looking over the auctions for this weekend in Alabama,  I found some really good primitives that caught my attention.


This baby cradle in pine with dove tails is really nice. It will be at  David Tims Auction in Pell City, Alabama.  

For English and French antiques, his shop is the place to go, but if you like American prims, you can find some real gems there, also. 



I love this Southern Walking Spinning Wheel,  going on the block at Whits Auction in Attalla, Alabama. 


I used to think these were called "walking spinning wheels" because the legs looked like they were ready to walk across the floor. 

 Tasha Tudor said that it's the spinner who does the walking; that in a normal spinning session the spinner will walk back and forth for a mile or more. Maybe she was exaggerating a bit.  

Whit's Auction is also offering this Federal mirror; circa. 1800 , I think.  


They are a love-it-or-leave-it type of thing.    Consider it really beautiful, or really ugly. 
If you don't like Federal mirrors, you can turn it to the wall and show this dandy backside. 
This pie safe, maybe linen press,  alone would be worth the trip. 


  It looks like Southern Pine, never painted,  a nice size,  and can be useful anywhere. 
I can see this loaded with quilts and homespun.
The sides appear to be one board, at least 22 inches. 
Ah, a beautiful back.  I think one day I'll have a room in my house with all the primitive furniture turned to the wall so I can see the backs.   


Yes, some people would talk, but the real primitive folks would understand perfectly. 
Cadle Auction in Calera, Alabama is holding two sales on Saturday.  I already bought four of these blue-and-whites from them at other times. 


Here is another perfect one.  Repros of these are all over the internet for sale. 


 ( Update: There was a  very small chip on the top so this sold for $10. )
I don't know why, but  I love old stoves. I guess never had to cook on one.  I remember as a child that Mrs. Hill  the pottery lady had one under a shed near her shop.  


 Her husband , whom she called  Marse Hill,  would fire it up for summer outdoor canning so the house would stay cool. 


 I remember also going to Tennessee as a child with my parents and seeing more than one of these sitting outside with peanuts boiling on them  for sale.  


 ( Update:  Sold for $65 )
Well, here is the ice box to go with the stove. Somebody painted it white over the golden oak, but that can be fixed, or not,  if you like the attic surface look.  


The cable program guy who does restorations could have this looking like fresh 1920.  


( Update:  There were actually FOUR of these iceboxes, all in relatively good condition to be 100 years old;  they sold for less than $50 each )
These final three items are going up this weekend at the Olde Argo Auction in Argo, Alabama. 


This dandy four gallon churn surely has been lucky not to have had its top broken.

Which reminds me..... I leaned the hard way that one must never pick up an old churn by the handle....they will snap right off. 




 ( This happened while lifting an already broken one in our old barn, so it was good that I learned what not to do) 
The blue and white milk picture has had a long and happy life. I guess that is supposed to be an ear of corn  with shucks around it.  


I don't get the connection so maybe I missed the potter's intention... 
These rockers aren't old but I had to include them as a primitive house needful


They are sold by Cracker Barrel, a country store/restaurant chain that began in Lebannon, Tennessee (Betty should know all about this place) and now are found all along the interstate highways.  


 A country porch with a line-up of rocking chairs is a welcomed sight.  

Comments

Post a Comment