Skip to main content

My Primitive Alabama House fits my primitive Alabama lifestyle.

My friend Deborah calls this my keeping room or buttery, since I have no small room yet to put such things except in the corner of the log room.  

My friend Larry made this, the best photograph ever of the front room.  He died of Covid earlier this year.  He loved primitives and we would talk for hours about some piece he had found on Marketplace. He thought nothing of getting his friend Michael and driving 200 miles or more to look at a pie safe or a hunt board. 



This shows the egg gourds I planted several years ago. They rest in a colonial trencher. Larry sold me the table and the step back. The rug is a Nichols Chinese Art Deco which brings out the greens in the step back and the table.  

This is a more recent photograph of the house after I bought the high back sofa. I needed somewhere comfortable for my ( rare) guests to sit. I will probably recover it in a brown fabric or build another one. The door is soon to loose its mustard color as are the windows and drapes. 

This shows the silhouette and miniature portrait collection next to the step back. About 15 crazy quilts are stacked on top, an idea I got from Simple Life.  



This is another more recent photo showing some fall additions to the 1817 log room. I sat 4 hours at an auction to get the settle, as they are rarely seen in Alabama.  The two 1820 English chairs are going to the library room, to be replaced by a bench.  The lady on the wall is Evelina Shaw. She is in an earlier post.  I drove to Knoxville to pick up the spay leg cherry table in the front right corner. I dipped the dried okra in cinnamon wax. 

 This is the right corner of the log room. The settee is appropriate for a primitive home but I think it's too bright, but it will  make-do for now.  You can see the mustard 1830's doll house on the cherry bureau. 

Not much has changed in the buttery since Larry took the picture above. I did stack some Jacquard coverlets on the mule chest. The hornbeam came from Mr. and Mrs. Azur Hayes fabulous estate sale in Woodstock.  That day was a feeding frenzy for primitive collectors.  

My poor bed I bought from Michael is from Greensboro. It started out so primitive looking and has turned into a bit of a Victorian mess.  I can tone it down but I do like all the color.  That is a crow perched on the gathering basket I bought at the Depot.  



This is my feeble attempt at adding a little fall color to the farm table. The Christmas decorations are coming out this week and I hope to do better. 

I have posted a lot about this ca. 1680 chair from Salem, Massachusetts. My ancestors Rebecca Towne Nurse and Mary Towne Easty were hanged as witches there in 1692. I descend directly from their brother Joseph Towne.  Their parents were William Towne and wife Joanna Blessing. 

This is a better view of the green step back and the pie safe I bought from my friend Larry. This was before I bought the table, which he said ( rightly) that I needed to complete the room.   Those large biscuit boards are good for leaning against the wall.  

This is the corner of the room where the checked settee now sits.  As you see, it looks better without it.  If I don't recover it, I'll move it to the back room or sell it.  It will look great in any primitive house. I think the color just isn't right for this one. 

 

Comments

  1. I like your homey blog about your home.I love color too.Your bed is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m so happy to be one of your more frequent visitors! Beautiful photos and commentary 💫

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are living the historic dream!
    I love the photos and your commentary - - - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are some incredible photos of some AMAZING treasures in this post! You should put together a calendar or some notecards or something...The first two and last are my absolute favorites. And how I envy you your Salem chair!! My bed purportedly came from the Salem "area," but it is many years later. It's as close as I have been able to get to having a physical connection to our anscestors. And almost as much as I envy that chair, I envy that dollhouse. I have always wanted a truly OLD dollhouse like that...but they are few and very far between. Have a good new week ahead. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment