Skip to main content

The arrival of my great grandparents' table

My aunt in Destin has moved to assisted living and the cousins had no room and didn't want my great grandparents dining room table. It was purchased at their marriage in 1901, probably from the Sears-Roebuck catalog, for less than ten dollars ( money was a bit more valuable then ! ) . The cousins are heading to the University of Alabama football game so they will be on the interstate tomorrow ten miles from here. So by noon I should have the table at my house. It was offered to me , and if rejected, it was going to the thrift store ! Below is an example of what it looks like. I will put a cloth on it ( after taking the two leaves out) and use if for a craft table James and Susie lost three boys ( ages 2, 6, and 11) in the Great Pandemic of 1918. My grandfather was the only son who lived. He and his sister caught the flu in Selma while visiting an Aunt for Christmas. They came back sick, and the three brothers got the flu from them and were dead in three weeks. The brother-in-law in Selma sent my great grandfather $100 to pay for the three funerals and markers. My great grandfather paid the money back soon after. I have the receipts and notes from all that. ... So, I'm getting the table they all sat at, the only dining table my great grandparents ever owned.

Comments

  1. Such a great family history story!
    So glad it was saved and remains in your family - - !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful table! You are so fortunate to have such wonderful snippets of your family's history. I have my grandparents' dining room table as well.... ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment